Featured post

Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva)

To Lagos,  Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva) was the Iyalode,  queen of all its women.  To Ile- Ife, she is Yeye Apesin, a godde...

Thursday 11 June 2015

Travesty (6)



"There's only one side to every story in this city and don't tell me you think the slut may have a valid point. How can someone just heartlessly destroy another person's happiness?" Funke asked dazed. "Where has the child been? She obviously didn't need Desmond before now so why did she steal poor Susan's joy?"

 

Lara nodded as they entered the elevator, all the while her heart thumping in her chest and her mind praying that Tolu had not returned from wherever she went. Funke sounded and looked like she'd kill them both if she found her in her flat. The elevator doors opened to a spotless living room. Lucy must have moved her suitcases into one of the spare rooms.

 

"Good afternoon madams," Lucinda said hurrying towards them. "The food is ready, I was just setting it out."

 

"It's okay, we are not hungry," Lara said dismissively, carefully looking for signs of Tolu and praying for none at the same time. "I'm going to my parents house earlier than normal," she said and Funke stared at her confused.

 

"I hope you are not going earlier to tell them what I've just told you," She said and crossed her arms. "That information is the definition of confidential."

 

Lara grabbed her arm and led her out of the living room, scared Tolu may appear at any minute, "Let's go to my room."

 

Funke jumped on her bed and smiled, "I love your bed. It always smells like what I imagine heaven smells like," She said and sniffed her pillows.

 

Lara forced a smile and changed out of her church clothes. "Surely they are not going to announce the annulment of the wedding yet. That will be too shameful,"

 

"You disappoint me constantly, Lara." Funke said and pouted. "Don't you know where you are. Of course not. Apparently they agreed to fake the marriage for two years. Susan is relocating to New York next month since Desmond can't leave his business in Lagos and she doesn't want to be in the same country with him,"

 

"Wow! My best friend is really a gossip whore," Lara said and pulled one of her silver evening dresses over her head. "There is no way I'd know all this information if you were not my best friend."

 

Funke shrugged. "All is ask in return is that you pray for long life for me." She said and rolled unto her tummy. "It'd be such a pity to die young, life is too wonderful and there is still so much to experience," She paused and studied her friend, "Are you sure you are alright? And isn't it a bit too early to be getting reading for tonight?"

 

"Yes and no. Yes, I'm fine and no, its not too early to be getting ready." Lara said and re-did her make-up in the mirror. "I need to get there early so I can speak to my father alone," She turned to face Funke, "are you coming tonight?"

 

"As much as I would love to, I literally don't have anymore strength in me to smile my way through a three hours dinner," She replied and rolled her eyes. "But don't worry, I'll make sure Tim is there," She gasped and grabbed her phone from her bag, "Speaking of which, I'm sure he'll tell me he has forgotten if I don't get home now and lay out his suit for him like his little maid." She rose from the bed and groaned. "Boys are babies, never forget that and your marriage to Ade may just be successful,"

 

"Boys are babies," Lara repeated. "Got it and thank you for the mighty words of wisdom."

 

Funked laughed and pecked her cheeks, "You know I love you honey, but I really must go now."

 

Lara breathed relief, "It's okay. Just tell Samuel to drop you." She pecked her best friend and watched her leave her room gracefully. She stood still and waited to hear Lucy say goodbye. Once she was sure Funke had left the flat, Lara crept out of her room in search of Tolu.

 

"Lucy, has my friend arrived?" She asked when she saw her clearing the dinning table of all the unused cutlery and uneaten dishes of yam, eggs and beef stew.

 

"No, ma." Lucy replied and Lara exhaled. "She hasn't arrived yet but I have set up Mr Danteta's room for her,"

 

"Why did you do that?" Lara asked with irritation. "She can't sleep in Ade's room, move her upstairs."

 

"I'm sorry ma and okay, ma, I'll do that now,"

 

"Once Samuel returns, let me know, I am going for dinner earlier than normal,"

 

"Yes ma," Lucy replied and Lara left her and went back to her room to finish getting ready. 


With all my love,

Dara Rhodes


No comments:

Post a Comment