Featured post

Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva)

To Lagos,  Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva) was the Iyalode,  queen of all its women.  To Ile- Ife, she is Yeye Apesin, a godde...

Thursday 27 August 2015

It's Really Not That Amazing

Hello beautiful people,

         Photo: quotesvalley.com

I know it has been a while but I've been busy living and enjoying 21. Omg! 21! Sometimes I still need somebody to pinch me, I can't believe I'm 21! The oldies will think I'm utterly ridiculous but I feel like I'm getting old, people. :'( Anyway, away with all the talk about ageing, I'm here to write about something completely different today.

The summer I turned sixteen, I wanted something. As I was in an all girls boarding school in England at that time, I knew I was going to have to work for it, but I wanted it nonetheless. I didn't know what it would do to me or how it would affect the next 5 years of my life if I got it, but I wanted it. And what Dara Rhodes wants, she gets. Thus, in my usual manner, I scoured the internet for information on the subject and read every word about it on every website I could find, determined to get it and do it very differently. 

So what exactly did I want? Simple. I wanted a boy best friend. Lol, yes. A Nigerian boy best friend, might I add. I have an amazing girl best friend but I wanted the boy best friend I had read about one too many times. I wanted the wonderful one that was always there, the one that listened and did everything the blogs described. I was convinced my life needed a male best friend to balance my friendship triangle and so I went out and got one. Lol, it wasn't that easy but it almost was. A month before my birthday, one innocent (well, not so innocent now) boy asked me out and there I saw my perfect opportunity. I said, I'd much rather be your best friend and he begrudgingly accepted after telling me boys and girls can't be friends. Armed with my determination and unshakeable will power, we began our best friendship. 

We fought every time we met up (not entirely sure why) but met up every single day of that summer regardless. It was amazing and heart wrenching at the exact same time but we trugded on. I went back to England and he went to uni in America. We didn't speak when we were apart but once Summer/Christmas arrived and we were both in Lagos, it was like we had never been apart. We fought and hung out all the time, everyday. 

To cut a very long story short, after 5 painful and awesome years as best friends, he is no longer my best friend or even friend at all now (or at least till we are both in Lagos next year). Though he came with an extra special dose of unique issues, I think I agree with whoever said boys and girls can't be best friends. We will always love ourselves (or at least I will always love him) but we just simply hurt each other too much.

The day after my 21st, I called him and informed him of my decision to break up our best friendship and I think he was shocked or maybe he wasn't (you never know with him). It was a break up like none other so I didn't quite know what to expect (I've never 'broken up' with my best friend before) but it was difficult. It felt like a real break up and even though he is still the second person (my girl best friend is the first) I always want to share my good/bad news with but can't, it is getting slightly easier everyday. 

The point of this beautiful sob story? Getting what you want isn't all it's cracked up to be. Every single time I've gotten what I wanted, which is 99% of the time ( I've perfected the art!), I've been minorly if not grossly disappointed. So the next time you don't get what you want, don't get your knickers in a twist, simply thank your stars and move on, after all, they could be saving you from five years of avoidable pain. Lol!

But then again, I have just acquired a new boy best friend and he is really that amazing! Lol! 

Have a wonderful day/ evening!

With all my love, 
Dara Rhodes

No comments:

Post a Comment