Featured post

Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva)

To Lagos,  Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva) was the Iyalode,  queen of all its women.  To Ile- Ife, she is Yeye Apesin, a godde...

Monday 22 July 2013

Lagos, Nigeria.

          There is something about Lagos. I knew it! I know it! I've always known it. Maybe it's the fact that it's the only real home I've known. Or, maybe it's the fact that it was a hospital in Victoria Island that welcomed me into this world. Whatever it is, I love it! The last time I was in Lagos was August 2010 (3 years ago) yet every single day I spent away from this city, my yearning to return only grew stronger. So, you cannot imagine my excitement and joy when I was given a chance to take a year out and work. Anywhere in the world. Yet, Lagos was all I saw.

          Don't get me wrong. Lagos is still VERY much a developing state and there is still an incredulous amount of poverty in this city BUT it is home. My home. And nothing, absolutely nothing beats that. As I landed in Murtala Muhammed Airport that fateful morning, I couldn't help but notice that the weather wasn't as hot as I thought it'll be. Yes, its the raining season in Nigeria but I was still shocked to find it cooler than london. My mind translated that as, London/England had become too hot for me. Why or how? I'm still not sure but that coolness I felt that morning definitely stirred up something in me. The drought (heat) in Lagos is over. It is a new day in Lagos and Nigeria.

        The journey home? Nothing in Lagos had quite changed. The roads, the hustle and bustle of the city at the crack of dawn and most importantly, the people. I was happy that everything was exactly the same, till I realised I was 3 years older. Then, I felt guilty. There I was being driven to my beautiful house after an immense/intense period of growth in my life had just occurred, while everything around me in my home city seemed to have remained stagnant. Still, I was grateful and overjoyed to be home. Nelson Mandela is right. "There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered." There is some growth, don't get me wrong. However, its been very minimal. There is something I've never quite understood. How do the Nigerians that live in diaspora do it? I can certainly not imagine living anywhere else in this world but Lagos. If you are a Nigerian in diaspora reading this, you need to at least return (if for nothing else, to experience Nelson Mandela's quote for yourself) home for a couple of days. I know Nigeria has some serious problems but if everyone runs from the country to countries they THINK have lesser problems, we are just creating bigger problems for our children.

        Like I said at the very beginning of this post, there is something about Lagos. I can't explain what it is. Maybe it's even only me that feels it, but it is an amazing feeling. And I pray everyone has a city they feel this kind of passion about. So yes, here I am at the start of my 1 year in Lagos totally unaware of what this year holds for me. Nonetheless, I do know one thing. It IS a new day in Lagos. Remember, just because it doesn't feel like a new day to you, doesn't mean its not. Lagos Nigeria, I love you more than you'll ever know. Not because of the wonderful life you've given me and my family, but because of the amazing life I know you are capable of giving 99.9% of all your residents. Thank you for being my home and I can't wait to prove my love for you.


With all my love,
Dárà Rhodes x

No comments:

Post a Comment