Featured post

Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva)

To Lagos,  Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva) was the Iyalode,  queen of all its women.  To Ile- Ife, she is Yeye Apesin, a godde...

Saturday 17 August 2013

Little.

     I love children. I really do. The innocence and purity of a child is unmatched. I'm slowly coming to believe that an adult is a child only with boundaries, systems and problems. Do we really need these boundaries and systems?

    I saw the children (well, I guess they are adults now) I played with as a child and my mouth literally dropped. We ate on the same table in my house till we were full and then ran outside to play till we were too weak to walk. In the evenings, we sat and told each other stories for hours, till our parents returned from work and scattered us. They taught me how to play "10/10 and tinko" and I taught them how to play hopscotch. They've always lived in the boys quarters but that never even occurred to me. Thinking about it now, I wonder where I thought they came from. Probably never even thought about it. I was too grateful to have playmates day in, day out. I spent everyday of my holidays with these 'friends' and there was no difference between any of us. It certainly felt like there wasn't. Fast forward, 10 years. The difference in our lives is unbelievable. Maybe it was obvious from the beginning but my point and the point of this post is that, it didn't matter. Why? Because I was little. As I drove past one of my 'friends' sitting by a stall selling petty things on the roadside, I had only two questions. 1) Are we doomed or esteemed from birth? ( is life is really that straightforward?) 2) Why doesn't it matter when we are little?

   No doubt, the "real world" is harsh, mean and unfair. Maybe that's why little children are always so happy. Afterall, they're not in the real world. Yet. Would this world be better if we didn't throw away the 'little' minds we developed as children? Would this world be fairer if race, disabilities, background and class systems didn't matter to us the way they don't matter to little children? At what age did we discard "little"? Is our new found 'big' really doing the best for us? I wish I knew the answers to these questions but I really don't. As I sit and wonder, I hope, no, I pray, we haven't made a terrible mistake by trading in little for big.

Have a wonderful day beautiful people!

With all my love,
Dárà Rhodes x

No comments:

Post a Comment