Featured post

Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva)

To Lagos,  Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva) was the Iyalode,  queen of all its women.  To Ile- Ife, she is Yeye Apesin, a godde...

Wednesday 7 May 2014

The media industry

I was talking to my aunt this evening and somehow we ended up discussing the media industry.

To cut a long story short, she doesn't believe I should continue in the media industry as it is one full of deception, lies and zero integrity. For the first time in a long time, I honestly didn't know what to think. I knew it wasn't going to deter me but I didn't know what the conversation was trying to teach me. I mean I know she is right about the industry but I also know that there is absolutely nothing that is pure evil (Well, apart from the devil and even he was once an amazing angel). The media is extremely powerful, I am aware of that (I am a media student for crying out loud). Are people taking advantage of that? Definitely. People have and will always take advantage of power but that certainly doesn't mean that everyone will. So what was the message?

Then it hit me. I love this industry. With all its up and downs I absolutely love it. It feels good acknowledging it but it took a negative discussion to make me realise just how much I love it. Why did that conversation happen? It happened to teach me that, sometimes, in this life, we need the bad to see the good.

I always tell my sisters that even the most interesting job in this world can loose its spark if its something you do day in, day out. I really love what I do but just like every other 19 year old I know, sometimes I just get bored. Nonetheless, all it took was a discussion about all the negative sides about my industry to get me fired up again.

So you see, negative isn't always bad. Many times, negative is just what we need to see clearly.



Have a wonderful evening,

Dara Rhodes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment