Featured post

Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva)

To Lagos,  Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva) was the Iyalode,  queen of all its women.  To Ile- Ife, she is Yeye Apesin, a godde...

Friday 11 October 2013

Million dollar homes in slums.


Lagos has many slums. Worst part, properties in certain slums cost millions of dollars. Don’t get me wrong I still love Lagos and I still think it’s an amazing city but the truth has to be told. As I stared out my window on my way back from work, I couldn't help but wonder, why?

Why do we want to pay millions of naira and dollars for a house in a smelly neighbourhood? Why do we want to live on streets so bad you almost have to buy new cars every year? Why are we wearing ourselves out trying to live half baked ‘luxurious’ lives?

I’m tired of entering beautiful houses on terrible roads. I’m tired of holding my breath in some of the most expensive neighbourhoods in Lagos. Worst still, I’m tired of people pretending they live in Hollywood when in reality, they live in glorified slums.

Lagos can be truly beautiful. Not the beauty that most people claim they see but the beauty that is seen by all and denied by none. When will it be? Is it when my grandchildren and your grandchildren are 80 years old? I hope not. I certainly pray not.

Have a wonderful day beautiful people.
With all my love,

Dárà Rhodes x

No comments:

Post a Comment