Featured post

Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva)

To Lagos,  Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva) was the Iyalode,  queen of all its women.  To Ile- Ife, she is Yeye Apesin, a godde...

Monday 28 October 2013

Rakes and Knives

I read a story by a young man called Mister Charles-Idu. His story is called “hoe and machete.” Although this is my story, it was his story that inspired it.

Will it be fair to say the British people that colonised Nigeria left us with rakes and knives? Will it be fair to say that the British strategically planned our current state? I’m sure it’s not fair to say that. They didn’t take our brains did they? At least not physically.

Still, I can’t help but think they might as well have. They gave us rakes to ensure we keep farming for just ourselves and our families and then they gave us knives to settle every dispute we have with each other. A country so so so blessed, yet more than half of the population depend on their farms.

Hear me out. Is it possible to put 3 different countries together forcefully and not expect disputes? Is it possible to randomly give one of them the largest land mass in the country and expect the other two to remain silent? This automatically creates a tussle for power. This automatically creates tribalism. This automatically creates chaos.

You don’t believe me? I have one word for you. Biafra. These problems caused the Biafran war. Yes, the foulest war Nigeria has ever witnessed. The saddest war Africa has ever seen. The war that changed the history of Nigeria for ever. The war that Britain watched.  

Why must we end every clash with knives? I don’t see the United States of America or England ending their country’s battles with knives. I’m saddened when I think about how they left us. I almost feel they gave us false hope. How can you hand a baby a rake and a knife? Somebody once told me that if the British government knew the amount of oil Nigeria has, they would never have left.

As far as I am concerned, all our country’s problems stem from the very beginning. Boko Haram that plagues Nigeria today is a product of the tussle for power, tribalism and chaos that I mentioned earlier. All our problems are. 

Enough of the blame game. Let’s face the reality that is our country today. We don’t need the government to sugar coat the problems or try to “fix” problems that are not the real problems. What we need is a government that will realise the root of the problems and then truthfully rebuild the country. As far as I am concerned, Nigeria needs to discard the rakes and knives and then, rebuild itself.

Have a wonderful day!

With all my love,

Dárà Rhodes x

No comments:

Post a Comment