Featured post

Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva)

To Lagos,  Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva) was the Iyalode,  queen of all its women.  To Ile- Ife, she is Yeye Apesin, a godde...

Sunday 13 October 2013

National conference

Nigeria’s foundation is faulty. Our country was built on corruption, forcefulness, tribalism and treachery. We need to understand that our country is the way it is, because the British people who colonised us so many years ago, set it up to be this way. Until we reset the country, I don’t think we can ever be fully free.

I recently read the history of Nigeria for the first time and I was shaken, then dumbfounded and then sad. I don’t think Nigerians understand. Most countries are born out of friendly alliances, our country was born out of greed and exploitation.

I don’t want to say Nigeria is a failed state but what do you call a country that chases away its people? What do you call a country that treats its own people like garbage? What do you call a country that doesn't value lives?

I want a genuine sovereign national conference. It gives us a chance to amend our foundation. To fill the cracks in the wall of the house that we call Nigeria. It gives us a chance to treat the wounds of our injured mother that is Nigeria. If it’s not going to be genuine, the government can forget about it. The only thing worse than ignoring a wounded man is giving him a false sense of hope that you will treat him.

If the conference will be anything like the fuel subsidy protests of 2012, which was filled with so much potential yet achieved very little, then the government can save their time. The people forced into this country deserve a genuine conference. The thousands of ethnic minorities in Nigeria deserve a genuine conference.

My grandmother once told me Nigeria is not a homogeneous country and I’m only just realising how true she was. That statement is why we need this conference. Every citizen of Nigeria should have a represented voice in the affairs of the country. The impunity in this country we call our own must end.

I end with the words of my grandfather, Dr Tunji Braithwaite " A successful conference will birth a truly independent Nigeria"

Have a wonderful day!
With all my love,

Dárà Rhodes x

No comments:

Post a Comment