Featured post

Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva)

To Lagos,  Abimbola Elizabeth Rhodes (nee- Da Silva) was the Iyalode,  queen of all its women.  To Ile- Ife, she is Yeye Apesin, a godde...

Monday 14 October 2013

Hair


Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie once said hair is a political thing. She couldn't have been more right. It amazes me how little, Africans know about their natural hair. 

The first thing people say when they see my hair is, "how do you manage it?" Or "how do you comb it?" Isn't it sad that they don't know how to manage or comb their natural hair but know how to style, protect and manage relaxed hair? Isn't it sad that they immediately assume I'm 'very Afrocentric' because I keep my hair the way it was made by God?

I met a Zambian girl (Lulu) that was visiting Nigeria for the first time and the first thing she said to me was, "I love your hair!" Then she went on to tell me about how she has natural hair underneath her braids too and showed me pictures on her phone. That made my evening. There I was, sharing an instant connection with another African girl who had been in Lagos for less than 24 hours. Infact  it made my week. I'm happy there's a 'natural hair trend' now but what will make me happier is if it turns from a trend to a lifestyle. What will happen if relaxers become a thing of the past? What will happen if every single girl that has gone natural stays natural till she dies? Won't that be beautiful?

If you still think natural hair is bad or difficult to maintain, its not your fault. I once thought that too. Its the fault of your mother and her mother. Please don't put chemicals on your daughter's hair. Teach her to comb it only when it is fully moisturised. Teach her to go to sleep wearing a silk scarf. Teach her to love her hair. The day I cut my hair, I hated it. I tried to cover it up or not go anywhere. Then one unceremonious morning, while staring in the mirror, I fell in love. I feel in love with its texture, its curls, the way it looked. I have never loved my hair the way I love it now. Its amazing. This is freedom.

Lulu told me this, "until you love your natural hair, I don't think you can ever fully love yourself" and she is very right. If you don't see yourself ever going natural, that's fine. But, please give your daughters a chance. Don't reinforce the opinions of your mother and grandmother in their little minds. Teach them to love every inch of themselves including the hair they are born with. After all, they are beautiful.

Have a wonderful day!
 


With all my love,

Dárà Rhodes x

No comments:

Post a Comment